Friday, May 14, 2010

To commence

Hello world. I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce my brand-new blog! I decided I would start blogging to help record what's going on in my life, since I'm moving away to France in September. This gives me an opportunity to record any thoughts and experiences that I come across while in Europe, as well as share my new life with all of those that I shall be leaving behind. As I have learned, the journey doesn't start only when you are on the plane, but it begins in the months leading up to your departure. Indeed, I am already busy preparing for my trip.
I am keeping fairly on top of my paperwork so far. I have a new passport, got all my immunization records and birth certificate (the long form!). I just sent off my online CampusFrance registration to the Consulate of France in Toronto, which took a considerable amount of time to prepare. Now I just need to ensure my visa application package is complete by the time I go in to the embassy and submit it. This month, I still must book my flight, look into housing options, acquire supplementary health and liability insurance, as well as notify Ontario Health that I am leaving the country for an extended period of time (if I don't, they will no longer classify me as a resident of Ontario, and then I will no longer be entitled to health care...scary!!). On top of that, I still have to complete my pre-departure orientation course online!! Lots to do, lots to do...
To make matters worse, I have yet to find employment for the summer!! For the time being, I am hoping to find something in Guelph, but who knows what will happen! If anyone can hook me up with a job....I'll love you forever?? ;D
So yes...now my thoughts and reflections about France at the onset of this lovely blog of mine. Well, I'm excited, of course! I can't wait to live like "un français'', and just BE in that wonderful country! Of course, I'm also quite scared to think about leaving Canada for a whole year. I wonder how much can change in that time. They say that leaving is hard, but coming back is even harder. I expect to come back to an entirely different life. What if I no longer fit in? What if I no longer hold common beliefs which made me happy to live in Canada? It's risky! Same with when I arrive in France: will I fit in? Will I find meaningful friendships? Will I adapt to a European lifestyle, mastering the language, eating the food, following the social norms of a different society? What if they don't accept me? What if I'm just labeled as "another American tourist", rather than accepted as the open-minded, passionate francophile that I am? These are some of the thoughts that I wonder when I really sit down and think about this opportunity. However, only time will tell, and for now, I am positive for an event which will no doubt be life-changing either way.
Thanks for taking the time to read my first post, and I hope everybody will enjoy reading my updates as I progress through this incredible journey.
--R.

No comments:

Post a Comment